Turn in your answers to the following problems to Coursenet:
1) (Rev 2/11) Define and discuss the following: electrical charge, current, and voltage. What are the units of measurement of each?
2) (Rev 2/11)In a 60 Hz circuit (such as house wiring), the voltage varies from a maximum value to a minimum, and back again 60 times per second. How is the average voltage defined? Why this definition, and not just the average voltage?
3)(Rev 9/11) For the circuit below find:
a) The current through R1 (10 Ω)
b) The current through R2 (30 Ω)
c) The current at the ammeter, M (in amperes)
4)For the circuit below find:
a) The current through R1 (20 Ω)
b) The current through R2 (10 Ω)
c) The current through the ammeter M
Case Assignment Expectations:
In general, Cases are expected to possess the attributes of precision, clarity, breadth, depth, and critical thinking. Not all of these are relevant to the answer to every problem in the case. When an attribute is relevant, the evidence for it is as follows.
- Precision: Numerical answers are calculated correctly, to the correct number of significant figures.
- Clarity: The problem is restated in its simplest form. Relevant variables are identified. Formulas are algebraically rearranged, as necessary. All the mathematical steps are shown, in logical order.
- Breadth: Where discussion is required, the question is placed in context. Alternatives are considered.
- Depth: Where discussion is required, the question is examined in detail. No relevant aspect of the question is omitted.
- Critical thinking: The correct analytical approach is selected. Relevant data are identified and irrelevant data are ignored. When required, the practical importance of the principle or phenomenon is accurately described.