Read the broad overview of the Portuguese Empire and Spanish Empire at History World. Once you have an idea of the events and people involved, proceed to the more detailed examination at The European Voyages of Exploration. Read the “tutorial directions” then proceed through all the pages of the tutorial (you can skip the “Knowledge and Power” section but be sure to read the “Conclusion.”) As you work through the tutorial, print out the questions from the reading assignment on this page. Use these to help you take notes while you read. Then, following the assignment directions, compose and submit your answers. Complete these questions after reading through the online tutorial. Create a word processing document titled “Portugal & Spain.” Copy the following questions to your document and answer in complete paragraphs (5 to 7 sentences). Be sure your answers are in your own words and not just copied from the reading.
- Why did Europeans explore?
- How was the nation we know as “Spain” formed?
- What were the three social classes of Iberian society?
- Explain the three factors that contributed to Portugal’s emergence as a leader in exploration.
- Describe Prince Henry’s contributions to the age of exploration.
- What motives drove Chinese exploration?
- Why did Portugal have such difficulty establishing trade with India?
- What similarities and differences existed between Portuguese and Spanish exploration?